Calling

Louisiana Baton Rouge Mission Spanish Speaking - August 2016 to August 2018

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Week 80 - February 20, 2018 - Mardi Gras and Miracles

Hey y'all!!

So this week was another crazy one!! Tuesday was Fat Tuesday and the last day of Mardi Gras. We got to go to the Zulu parade which is one of the most famous parades here in Nola, and it was a freaking party!! The Zulu parade is well known for throwing out coconuts and hey! I got one! It was really funny watching all of us missionaries trying so hard to get a fake painted coconut but hey, memories right? It is definitely a day I will never forget! The one problem, my voice still hasn't fully recovered from all the yelling trying to get coconuts and as many beads as I could! Oh well haha 😂 All in all it was an awesome time but I am glad that Mardi Gras is over cause it made travel really hard in our area.

Now for the miracle of the week. So getting doubled into an area can be pretty interesting because you have to kinda start from the ground up. It has been some hard work on the bike but our work is starting to pay off. We were visiting one of Elder T's recent converts and randomly one of his neighbors comes over and joins in the lesson and starts bearing his testimony to us about how God can help change lives. This guy had been an alcoholic for a long time and Elder T remembers seeing him drunk all the time when he was working with his convert before. Cool thing is tho, this guy decided that he needed to change and so he prayed and God helped him to quit drinking! We invited him to come to our next lesson and he said he would be there and he even wants to come to church! The Lord really does prepare people to be taught his Gospel.

Spiritual thought:
1 Peter 1:7-9
  7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
  8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
  9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

Isaiah 48:10-11
  10 Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.
  11 For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another.

Sometimes we are called to go through trials that we don't understand. We know we have faith and yet life is still hard, bad things still happen. Many times I have asked myself why life has to be so hard, I mean I feel like I would enjoy it more if it was easy right? Isn't that what God wants? These two scriptures have come to be some of my favorites over the course of my mission. They really put in perspective for me why we have these trials. God wants for us something more precious than gold, he wants our salvation. In Isaiah he states that we aren't refined with silver. Why? With the Olympics going on I will relate it to that. What is the goal of the Olympics? It's to get the gold right? To reach the highest that an athlete can go. It is the same with God. He doesn't want us to get silver, he wants us to reach the highest we can and get that gold. Like Olympians, if we want the gold we must work to become strong enough or fast enough to get the gold, the only difference is that it is our faith that we have to work and that is why God gives us trials. If we didn't have trials we would never have to use our faith and it would never get refined into something stronger.  He will never refine us into anything less than the best so trust Him and know that, as he said to Joseph Smith, "all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good."

¡Dios les ama mucho!

Elder Nathan Stoddard