Calling

Louisiana Baton Rouge Mission Spanish Speaking - August 2016 to August 2018

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Week 94 - May 30, 2018 - "And mine angels round about you, to bear you up."

Hey y'all :)

Alright, this week has been pretty crazy! I'll give y'all some of the highlights. 

Friday morning, we went out with one of our members to visit people who live out in Franklin. Franklin is like 30 miles away one way so it is a place we don't get to often because of miles. It was a great morning! We had a lot of fun, talked to a lot of our referrals and tried to visit a bunch of members. We had a lot more success than we were hoping for early on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. 

As we were driving back home from Franklin we came to this freeway crossing. We stopped at the stop sign, looked both ways, saw a few cars coming and let them pass then pulled out. Only when we were crossing did we realize that there was another car that none of the three of us had seen. The member hits the gas to try and get out of the way but we get hit in the back rear of the car. And now for the miracles. One, I was sitting on the rear passenger side and we got hit on the rear drivers side. If I had been sitting there, I would have gotten seriously hurt. Two, there were only two cars involved in the accident. If there had been another car coming things could have been really really bad. Three, no one got hurt from the wreck. The lady we pulled out in front of was shaken but she didn't get any injuries and the three of us were just fine. All of us were sore but that was it. Four, a guy who has known the missionaries in the past was driving by while we were still on the side of the road, saw that it was missionaries and came to make sure we were alright and that we had a ride home. 

All in all the accident was not as bad as it could or should have been. I think one of the officers said it best, "those three are men of God, and God protected them." God does look out for those who are out doing his work. He made sure that that accident ended up the way it did. Without his protection things could have been so so much worse, but with him even the bad things turn out good. 

The other really cool thing this week was Zone Conference. This was the last Conference for some of my former companions and for some missionaries that I have come to be close to over the mission. They had the opportunity to stand up and give their "go home testimonies." Dang that was crazy to see. The spirit of their testimonies were some of the strongest I have felt. Things keep happening that make me realize that my part in this mission is coming to an end and seeing all my buddies give their go homes was sad, but also gave me some extra boost to finishing this mission strong. This was probably my favorite zone conference to date, but now I am terrified for my next Conference because it is going to be my last. 

Well y'all, I think that is what I have to report for this week. It has been one for the books that is for sure! Love y'all!

Elder Nathan Stoddard