Calling

Louisiana Baton Rouge Mission Spanish Speaking - August 2016 to August 2018

Monday, March 19, 2018

Week 83 - March 12, 2018 - Joy

Hey y'all!

So if you follow me on Facebook this letter might sound pretty familiar :) 
This week we had the opportunity to have a meeting for all the missionaries serving in the New Orleans area. One of the main focuses was joy and finding joy in the mission. It got me thinking of a quote from my favorite Mormon Message, "The Refiners Fire." (If y'all haven t seen it go check it out on lds.org.) The lady in the video makes a very profound statement. In effect she said "the greater our sorrow, the greater our capacity to feel joy." I have come to learn on the mission that that is so true. To be totally honest y'all, the mission is hard. Some days you just don't want to go out, you miss home, you miss friends and family, you want to be away from your companion, you want to help people but they just won't listen, and most of all you want to be perfect but you are reminded everyday how far away from perfection you are. I have never felt more sorrow, pain or discouragement than I have on the mission. That being said, I have never had more joy than being on my mission. Sounds funny yeah? How can you have joy while being sad or discouraged? It's because, for the first time in my life, I have decided to follow the Savior Jesus Christ as best as I can. Through him, we can feel joy even in the hardest of times because he is the path to joy! If we will only follow Him then we will have the joy that only He can give! I would encourage y'all, whenever you are going through something that seems too much and you don't feel like it can ever get better, to look to our Savior because he can bring you joy!

Zone Conference was definitely the highlight of this week! It is always awesome to gather as missionaries to learn and to teach one another!

Well y'all I'm sorry for the short letter this week! The next one will be bigger I promise!

Elder Nathan Stoddard